Tuesday 11 March 2014

Sacred Geometry: Sketchbook

Sketch book Development: 

Preliminary Sketches

I have began my sketchbook by simply learning how to draw some of the shapes within Sacred Geometry. I have managed to construct these just by using a compass and ruler. I have then used shading and colour to emphasise the shapes and make them look 3-dimensional. I also constructed my own 'Fruit of Life' giving a brief description of sacred geometry and the the fruit of life. 
Mono-printing 'The Fruit of Life'

Following on from my preliminary sketches I then looked at different ways of drawing the 'Fruit of life'. Due to the structures ancient religious connotation I wanted to give it a worn texture and make it look like it was glowing like Metatrons Halo; I have used black paper for this as I hoped it would emphasise the 'glowing' effect. I think the mono-printing has provided the worn rough texture I was looking for and a slight glow, however, I was hoping for a more of an impact. As an experiment I also printed the negative image left on the glass surface after my original print. 
Polyhedron Screen Prints

To expand on my Dodecahedron and Stellation drawing I then moved on recreate them using screen prints. I decided to use the screen print method as I thought this would allow my to print clean accurate images. While doing my screen print I struggled to align my stencils causing the white gaps in-between the Stellation print. I found this was due to the thin paper I had used to make my stencils; as I was printing my stencils the paper was creasing therefore causing it to move the finished print. In order to combat this when creating my second screen print of the Dodecahedron I used acetate to create my stencils as I knew this wouldn't crease, it also meant I could re-use the stencils as much as I wanted. With the stencil on the left I wanted to demonstrate the clean lines and flat colour you are able to achieve in screen printing. I was slightly  more experimental with my second Dodecahedron print and mixed some of the different shades into the other layers of the stencil. I wanted to see how much you could disrupt the colours before you lost the 3-dimensional perception of the shading. I like both of these prints and would like to continue experimenting by introducing a wider variety of colours into one print whilst also experimenting with the opacity of the paint. 
Merging of both
Merging of Stellation

To test this idea further I then went on to combine both processes and screen print on top of my previous mono-prints. I decided I used the dodecahedron acetate template because it gave cleaner and more accurate results. I chose to use green paint as I feel this reflected the natural theme of the 'Fruit of Life'. I deliberately used a more transparent mix of paint as I wanted to make sure that you could still see the 'Fruit of Life' through the design. 


To improve this I think I would try to make the different shades bolder, this would therefore make the sides stand out more and improve the 3D perception of the piece. 

Categories:

0 comments:

Post a Comment